Is it just me, or do these Olympics seem to be all about drama? Controversy has been plaguing these games since before they even started, from Bode Miller’s admissions of drunken skiing antics on 60 minutes to the dismissal of the U.S. skeleton team’s coach for alleged sexual harassment of team members. Despite the fact that we often put athletes on a pedestal and expect them to act with character and behavior above the average man, these games have highlighted the fact that often athletes fail to meet the standards that we place on them. Admittedly, sometimes we place to high a standard on athletes, especially at the Olympics. However, the open displays of pettiness and lack of sportsmanship at the Olympics this year have really gotten me down on the whole event this year. I am talking about two specific instances in the past week that have really struck me as displaying a disappointing attitude by Olympic athletes.
Issue #1- The Shani Davis Controversy
First let me say Congratulations to Shani Davis on the first individual gold medal to be won by an African American athlete in a winter Olympics, EVER! I am truly appalled by the way that Shani Davis has been treated by his own teammates and the media. He has been called selfish and unpatriotic for refusing to skate in the team pursuit. He never agreed to skate in the team pursuit and it was 2 days before his most important individual event. He made the decision way in advance not to skate in the team event. However, his “teammate” Chad Hedrick decides to have a temper tantrum because Shani’s decision to focus on his own best event kept Hedrick from winning 5 gold medals. The root of his complaint is not that Shani was not a team player, but that Shani didn’t put his own goals on hold to help another teammate (Hedrick) reach his. Hedrick was even so petty as to refuse to congratulate Shani on his gold medal and instead only saluted the silver medal winner (Cheek) at the award ceremony. Makes me ashamed that Hedrick is representing America at the Olympics, not to mention the reaction by many Americans who have derided Shani for his decision (someone even went so far as to call him the n-word on a post to his personal website!). I could say a lot more, but this author does it better: Shani Davis Disrespected in His Moment of Glory
Issue #2- Ice Dancing Prima Donnas or The Glare Heard Round the World
Two nights ago ice dancing turned into a “demolition derby” with an unprecedented five couples falling during the competition. The Canadian couple had to quit because the girl was dropped on her hip from about five feet in the air. (Sorry I don’t know peoples' names). And then you have the Italians, who fell right at the very end of their otherwise beautiful performance. When they stopped in their poses, they glared, and I mean glared, holes through each other. You could just see that each of them was blaming the other for the fall. Hellooooo, you are a team, when you fall, you both fall. Next night, all during warm-ups and up until they entered the ice they refused to speak to each other and kept giving each other eat-s***-and-die looks. Unbelievable. They came out of retirement for this and that is how they want to remember their last Olympics? Luckily they came out and skated to a very passionate and aggressive score (I think if their skate was romantic they would have bombed) and did really well and apparently forgave each other in the end. But it was disappointing to see them acting like children on international television.
Maybe I am just being too hard on people, but I have always expected more from Olympic athletes than from the pros or even most college players. Where are the personal interest stories that make me want to root for someone? Its just not here for me this year so far. I hope that this week will be better, we shall see.
Tuesday, February 21, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

WOW. I'm speechless. I never even thought about the Shani Davis situation in that way. Hedrick is being equally selfish. UGH it makes me so mad that others dont see this your way. It was very unolympic like to not congratulate a fellow teammate on their victory. Paritucalry as he made history in his win. I liked another guy I think his name was Polo something who is half asian and even though he was upset about things he was ery diplomatic. I agree with you on the iceskating. I saw that and was disappointed.
ReplyDeleteSportsmanship is an objective that ateachers must teach in elementary school. This is an important concept. What are kids thinking as they watch these people, at the height of their athletic best, degenerating into children? Talk about being role models.
Great post.
AMEN! I feel pretty much the same with the athletes. It does seem like there's much more pettiness at this Olympics. Just seems like so many "toddlers" out there when it comes to sportsmanship and representing your country.
ReplyDeleteyou mean you didnt enjoy seeing the ice divas engage in a cat fight? that was almost as much fun as watching the spills on the ice
ReplyDeleteYou know I thought I'd get a kick out of the falls. (I guess the meanness in me) but I actually felt AWFUL when I saw it. These are their dreams collapsing... I felt bad.
ReplyDeleteAisha- I know, it must be hard to teach sportsmanship to your kids, especially when they look at today's athletes and say, "but xyz doesn't act that way." I like Apollo too, he is so young this time, I am sure he will do well next Olympics. I feel bad when they fall too, or when racers false start or skiiers miss gates, that is the worst!
ReplyDeleteCindi- toddlers is a good word for describing it!
nambypamby- shhh, a secret part of me did enjoy the soap opera of ice divas just because of the drama. it probably comes from the same side that likes to watch Nip Tuck...